Wednesday, June 26, 2013

big week

we've got a few big stories to tell for the week, so I think I'll write them out here...probably in different entries. I want to remember the details for me and my kids for years to come

the first one has no pictures, so I'll end with a random video of 2 silly girls I know

we've had a rough couple of days with Andrew. Pretty much since we got back from our beach vacation the kids have had a rough return to the reality that life does not revolve around them and there are some things that they have to do that they do not want to do. This has been especially hard with the boy who is really trying hard to convince us and him that he actually can do and have whatever he wants if he pressures us enough. This has led to some pretty ugly fights between him and us and him and the girls (since Aimee is now old enough to fight back this includes both girls.). Monday was full of disobedience and punishment so that at the end of the day, when I was about spent, he got up from bed one more time to go the bathroom turned and looked at me and said, "why have I done so many bad things today?" This led to a sweet little conversation with him about sin and repentance and forgiveness and the assurance that though we (and God) like it when he is obedient, we love him no matter what.
Tuesday he woke up and we had a very similar day. Lots of bad attitudes, choices, and disobedience. I listened to a sermon from our church that I had missed the sunday before due to teaching sunday school and it was so encouraging to me about how we are actually ready to be used by the Lord when we are utterly exhausted and at the end of our strength. That is when we can say with Paul, "I have been crucified with Christ and it is no longer I who live but Christ lives in me." Recently I have felt so worn out by our kids and neighborhood kids that exhaustion is a good word.
So Tuesday night I was definitely at the point of frustration, the behavior was not changing or stopping, it was bed time, I said something to Andrew that really hurt his feelings and he started to sob. Really hard, really sad, and when I asked him why he said, "because of those words you said." So it was my turn to say I'm sorry and ask forgiveness. This did not stop the crying which was getting out of control. He was really hurt and I felt terrible. (Kaitlyn fell off her bed at this point and started crying too and we had 10 people downstairs for a business meeting who were trying to talk over the wailing sounding throughout our house :-) I didn't know what to do and they both just needed to go to bed.
So finally I threatened some more punishment if they didn't stop crying and I tried to get up to leave, but the crying intensified. I was at the end.
Not knowing what else to do I went back over to Andrew and started explaining again that mommy isn't perfect, that i make mistakes, and that's why I need Jesus. Daddy isn't perfect and we will mess up and we need him and God to forgive us. And I'm so thankful I have Jesus inside of me to help me. Andrew then asked if he had Jesus inside of him and I asked him if he had ever asked Jesus to come inside. He said no so I asked if he wanted to and he said yes. He prayed with me and the change in his demeanor was instantaneous. He became happy, almost giddy, put his hand on his heart and said, "now He's closer than He's ever been!"
We talked some more, I rejoiced with him, said goodnight, and he closed his eyes and went to sleep. I was amazed and so thankful that God took a situation that I couldn't handle and was beating myself up for, and redeemed it completely, turning it into a landmark for Andrew's life. Praise God that in our weakness He is indeed strong.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

So so precious! June 25, 2013:))) I have special tears for a special guy! love you all...gran

The McNabb's said...

On praise God! We have been praying for this since the day he was born. So exciting!