Wednesday, September 09, 2015

this one's trouble...

We're now 48 hours into our stint with baby Alex. A stint of 1-2 years, and he's already stolen our hearts. We loved Erin for sure, but it was a harder love, both physically and emotionally more demanding. Alex has been an easy love. Actually, on a run last week at the beach, before we got him, I felt the Spirit whispering "this one's going to break your heart, but I'm still asking you to walk forward with him." Alex has slipped easily into the life of our family and his presence has felt natural and easy (that doesn't mean that our lives haven't changed dramatically in the last 48 hours because it has, but it's felt right.) There is still sadness when I hold him...sadness for the breakup of his family and especially for his mom who longs to be the one holding him right now.  I don't know what the coming months have in store for us with visitations with his mom, court dates, etc. We'll have a few doctor's appointments coming up in the next few weeks and other logistical things to take care of. Life will get busier with homeschool starting for the other kids too. I know the only reason I don't feel overwhelmed right now is the grace of God sustaining us. My prayer is that we continue to lean into that Grace, and that He takes us "from strength to strength," for whatever comes. (Psalm 84)

I never posted the above post because i couldn't seem to find time to take a single picture to go with it...I still have very few pictures, but I will add onto my thoughts here now that we're 3.5 weeks in...
Loving a baby while praying that he gets to go home is a hard thing to do. God is teaching us so much and daily challenging our dependence on Him. Our flesh is weak and it is hard to die to yourself...and yet we are called as believers to live in the shadow of the cross. As hard as it is and as ugly as my heart often is, I want to stay there. Foster care/adoption is hard! Beautiful, but hard...much like the Gospel. So beautiful, and yet so painful at the same time. Foster care, and often adoption,  begins with trauma. It starts in pain. And God willing through that pain comes redemption and beauty for ashes. We have hope for Alex's family and pray that it will be restored soon.

a special pony party Kaitlyn got to enjoy


the baby pen...she enjoys it much more than he does
our new tree house!
and chicken coop
making an aquarium

Kaitlyn's craft for her presentation last week...the basket baby Moses was put in...her own idea

No comments: