Tuesday, February 24, 2015

snowy days

As I looked at our towel of winter boots, gloves, hats, scarves, and snow pants today I was so grateful...especially for the good boots we are so blessed to own that keep my kids' feet warm and dry out in the snow that keeps on coming (ground has been covered for a week and there is more on the forecast for tomorrow night). But the truth is, when our neighborhood friends come in I am embarrassed and sad. I am embarrassed that we have so much and my kids are so well provided for and if they outgrow their boots we will have the means (money, time, and physical ability) to get them more next year. I am embarrassed that I believe without these things my kids cannot enjoy the snow. Because as these kids come in, in their tennis shoes, blue jeans, and cloth gloves, they come in happy and excited because there is snow and they get to play in it. They may ask us to dry their gloves in the dryer that we have in our home (that they don't have in theirs) or they may ask for a peanut butter sandwich since they've been out of school for over a week with no school breakfast or lunches and do not have ample food in their homes while their parents may or may not be at home since they still have to go to work even though they have no childcare. These kids are rough around the edges, and these days they are wet and cold, but they still smile and they still play...socks or no socks, gloves or no gloves. We give out what we can, but I know that is not the answer to the sadness that weighs on my heart. I know also that my sadness is not all based on right perceptions of the reality of their lives. Possessions do not equal their (or my) happiness, and sometimes lack of something makes us especially grateful for other things that really matter...like friends, like neighbors with dryers who will dry gloves so that they can go back out for round two.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The chickens look the warmest. Jester and Andrew are having the most fun! I would love to play with all of them in the snow (not the chickens). Stay safe. I love you. Marsy