Thursday, December 19, 2013

what I learned about Kaitlyn last night

We had our end of the year violin concert last night. I asked the girls to stand up one by one and play the twinkle rhythms on the E string. I teach 5 little girls who are 3 and 4 years old. 3 of them have done great this fall, soaking up the technique and the rhythms, and 2 of them have not done so great. One of those 2 has been Kaitlyn. She claps whatever she wants to, and acts like she can't tell it's not what I just clapped for her. I've given her the option of stopping many times and trying again in a year or 2, thinking she just may not be ready, but she never wants to quit so we keep going...I've been chalking this year up to merely exposure for her. And then last night at the concert she volunteered to go first, jumped right up in front of 20 people in full confidence and played the rhythms perfectly. What's the explanation? Did she just mysteriously learn all the rhythms yesterday? No, she's so stubborn! She's known the whole time how to do it but hasn't wanted to do it for me. She does what she wants when she wants and sometimes it drives me crazy! But I sure was proud last night. Not only did she do it well, she did it the best of all. oh Kaitlyn, always full of surprises :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's those middle children. They'll get you every time. And, thank God for them. Of course those on either end are pretty amazing, too. Love them all to the moon and back! Marsy