Wednesday, February 20, 2008

skiing!



We finally had a chance to go skiing up here...in Henniker, NH. It had been 6 years since we had been (both of us went once during our senior years of college). I was wondering if it would come back or if we'd end up sliding down or off the mountain, but it came back quickly. Spencer was especially daredevilish. We went down a green first, then he moved us to a blue the next run, then he was ready for the black, and our 4th time down he led us to the double black...I was just trying to keep up! We went with several friends and a group of international students from Park Street. We made a major mistake after dinner and offered to take one of the Chinese families down a real green (they had only been on the bunny slope thus far). We thought we were doing ok because everyone survived the getting on of the ski lift. However when it came time to get off, we knew we were in big trouble. Spencer and the father and son made it off ok, but I came behind with the mom who, when she saw the people in front of us get off and how it was done, panicked and started gripping the lift saying "no, no, no, I can't, I won't, I'm too scared!" So I was trying to pull her off while she was holding herself on and finally I decided to save myself and let go. I got off and the chair turned the corner and then she decided she actually did need to get off so she plunged herself off and thankfully landed in such a way that her head was underneath the chair as it passed over her. Man it was close. So then we started down and after about 20 minutes had made it about 30 feet. Spencer and I were starting to wonder just how we were going to get them down the mountain when a ski instructor passed and stopped to help. He got them down...and though the wife will be sore for the next 2 weeks and the husband had a bloody face, I think they had an overall positive time...at least that's what they told us:-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had fun. I've never been a big skier...even though I grew up near some great ski resorts. Unfortunately, my ski experiences have been similar to the Korean wife. :-)

Sarah