Thursday, February 22, 2007

The White Man's Burden - some thoughts on Easterly's work

William Easterly's White Man's Burden is really interesting and focuses on the reasons why two trillion dollars in aid over the last fifty years from the West to the 2/3 world has not helped the 2/3 world very much and in many cases has created political upheaval, economic instability and chaos in general. He posits many ideas, but three of the most prominent are: 1) economies develop step-by-step and not from a top down plan 2) all aid given should have a specific, measurable purpose and there must be accountability to have achieved the goal for which it was given, else more money should not be given 3) solutions should be found in dialogue with the people being served - the West should not project its expectations or desires on the 2/3 world and then set out to make them like itself. Particularly fascinating is his insinuation that liberals typically miss the boat because they feel pity for economically developing countries and tend to throw money at the situation to make themselves feel better and that conservatives miss the boat because they assume that military intervention, democratic government, and Western morality will change the situation. His stress on the need for genuine relationship is refreshing, and his assertion that to be truly helpful the West must serve the people of the 2/3 world by asking them what would help them and delivering it (instead of seeing where their systems aren't up to par with ours and rushing in to provide money and planning to upgrade). Instead of looking at the 2/3 world as a project, the West must treat them as people, as individuals with immense dignity who the West is given the opportunity to know and serve. Although Easterly's negative view of missions (equating Schall and Ricci with later economic imperialists is ridiculous) suggests that he lacks a Christian worldview, the inherent dignity that he sees in all people is commendable. Though not as powerful as the understanding that all people are created in God's image and thus have dignity and deserve respect on this basis regardless of their past, culture, or situation, Easterly is certainly on the right track.

I enjoyed reading the book and felt like I got a combined lesson in history and economics in the process. More than any other writer that I've read, it seems like Easterly is coming to grips with the reality that the West doesn't have all the answers but can be helpful as it truly becomes an other-oriented servant. Too often, Western leaders' worldviews are rife with humanism - they do not adequately understand the tendency of man toward sin and evil. As a result, they tend to propose that if we just have the right plan or enough aid that all of Africa or SE Asia or wherever will change and be just like us - which is in itself a very scary proposition. Genesis 6 is a helpful reminder of where humanity tends toward and keeps us from hoping ultimately in our plans. The West can and should help the 2/3 world economically, but it needs to do so with reasonable expectations (we can help but need to go in as listening servants) and a primary goal of building relationships.

I'm wondering how De Soto is going to expand on his premise and move toward meaningful application. I'm 80 pages in, but it seems like he is saying that property laws are the biggest part of the equation in developing capital, but such laws developed over hundreds of years in the West - fast integration doesn't seem possible to me in other places. Perhaps he'll address that soon.

6 comments:

bbv, llc said...

Very impressive. You knocked that out pretty quickly. I wish I had such speed reading skills. I also appreciate his delineation of the "searchers" (is that the term he uses)...
Anywho, i interviewed with the Office of Management & Budget today (in the White House -- oversees federal budget -- and mediates between WH & Cap Hill). That would be pretty sweet to be up in that mix. Stanford also just launched a dual degree Public Policy program. Very tempting but would need to stay a third year. How cool would it be to take policy classes.
You could do HBS & the Kennedy School ... and then we could compare notes ;)

Spencer and Emily said...

I read WMB last semester for class - so I can't claim any speed in reading, but it has been quite formative in my thinking. His searcher/planner distinction is brilliant.
That would be an awesome job. I'm not sure I've got HBS and Kennedy School motivation (3-4 years beyond sem :) Perhaps HBS, but I'm not sure about its environment. Older alums have mentioned that it was extremely cut-throat - not sure if it still is. One of the key aspects that we would obviously want is strong community in school.

Spencer and Emily said...

if I could even get in to HBS!

Anonymous said...

oh, brother.

why dont you 2 just go ahead and take over the world?
(...but give me a 411 first so i can put on my helmet.)

Anonymous said...

is anyone interested in the dimensions of a volleyball court?

Spencer and Emily said...

I'm glad I get my name on this blog site...makes me look smart :-)
--emily